Monday 11 March 2013

Tip #23 - Volunteer

Just over a year ago, I had a conversation with someone about volunteering. I had just been accepted as a volunteer at the London Olympics, and was really excited about it. It seems my enthusiasm wasn't universally shared, however. "Why would you volunteer?" he asked me. "Isn't your time worth something? Why would you work for free?"

It was a perspective I'd never considered before. To me a volunteering role and a job are two different things. You get paid in money with a job, and not in a volunteer position. But that doesn't mean I'm giving away my time for no compensation!

You see, I view volunteer roles as belonging to more of a barter economy. You put forward hours of time and work, and get compensated in material things, such as travel compensation, free lunch, uniform, and other free experiences, as suits. For example, I got to see a free Olympic event over the summer. Other volunteering roles may allow you free access to concerts, expos, or tourism sites. Sometimes you may receive a small thank-you in the form of a gift certificate.

But the biggest and most important compensation you receive from volunteering is experience. So many jobs now-a-days ask for previous experience or multiple references. For many people, the (il)logical loop is, without the job you can't get the experience. And without the experience, you can't get the job. So how to start? One really great way is through volunteering. Are you interested in nursing or helping people with mental health problems? Volunteer at a nursing home or a hospital or on a telephone helpline for a bit. Need management experience? Offer to take on more responsibility within an existing volunteer position.

I always try to have at least one volunteering role all times. This way, I show that I'm an eager worker, I increase my base of contacts and potential references, I add skills to my resume, and I am able to fill any gaps left by lack of employment, if necessary.

I've never understood the concept of my time being valuable solely in monetary terms. In fact, in many instances, the experience and experiences I have received through volunteering roles are worth more than monetary, hourly compensation. They have gained me paid employment. They have opened my eyes to new thought processes. They have allowed me to meet some incredible characters. I wouldn't change them for the world, and I will never stop volunteering my oh-so-precious time, as long as I have time to give.



NOTE: this tip is purely about volunteering. My views on unpaid internships, and forced working for companies who should be paying a fair wage are very different.

No comments:

Post a Comment